Boorish Moronics

Author: Jeff Hicks /

I had a good friend named John who was a Navy SeaBee stationed on Yap. We met about twice a week and lifted weights at the SeaBee camp. John had a large Olympic weight set and some other nice exercise equipment and we were mutually happy to have each other as workout partners. My companion went along for the ride and diversion it offered.

Because, as missionaries, we were not allowed to be out tromping in the jungle after dark, I decided to use those evening hours to exercise and lift weights. If I was not lifting with John, I used my own makeshift weight set at home. I had the neighborhood kids hustle me some old train car axles with iron wheels that they dug up from somewhere on the island. They were relics left over from the Japanese mining operations that were in full swing during WWII and they made very good, makeshift workout bars.

I paid those kids $5 bucks each for their efforts and the day they delivered, I didn't want to know where they got them. Five bucks was a huge payday for them and we were all happy with the deal. My routine workouts kept me from getting the island jitters like some, because I was able to completely divert my mind to something different for a period of time each day.

One time when I had a planned workout with John, we were joined by the AP’s (assistants to the mission president) that were visiting from Guam. They were on a two day visit and decided they wanted to go and meet my workout partner. They were a couple of typical boys who hinted that they couldn’t wait to meet some topless island ladies. Because of this and the fact that they had that air of arrogance typical of AP's, I made up my mind that they were a couple of morons and looked forward to the day when they would be gone. We subtly reminded them that they were our guests and these Yapese people were our friends and neighbors and they better not disrespect them.

As I was introducing the AP’s to John, he mentioned that he had a really nice, hand-carved Yapese story board that he would be willing to sell. In unison, they both asked, “How much?” John said, “Oh, forty bucks and not a penny less.” The elaborate board depicted the life-cycle of the turtle which was ancient mythology for the Yapese people.

They both ran to the truck for their wallets. One AP had a wad of cash and the other, a check book. Naturally, the one with cash had his money ready sooner than the other and he made the transaction before his partner could dash up with his check that he had to quickly write out.

You should have seen the look on that AP’s face when he realized his partner had beaten him to the deal. He was furious! They both stood out by the truck and screamed and yelled at each other for quite awhile and at one point, they squared off and were ready to punch it out! Neither I nor my companion cared. I got busy with my workout and was completely indifferent to whether or not they beat the piss out of each other, as long as they were healthy enough to get back on the plane and leave when the time came.

0 comments:

Post a Comment